Friday, September 11, 2009

When subject matter trumphs your values

“What motivates people to buy art?” Part 2

Have you ever fallen into the trap of producing something based upon the subject matter to get a sale, when the subject matter trumps your values? Here in Buckeye country, anything scarlet and grey, regardless of quality, sells. I have produced my share of OSU themed artwork from wooden cutouts to flags to anything someone can stick in the ground to paintings. On average about 50% of my past fall product line was based on this nutty character, and I have made good money. It is a tough line to walk but one that I have proudly done for the past couple of years. I said “NO” to the old college town favorite and concentrated on my Halloween offerings.

So if you are ever out at any of the shows where I am attending, buyer beware there will be no nutty characters in my booth except those with a toothy grin. Instead be prepared to be treated, Halloween just come once a year!

No comments: