Tuesday, September 1, 2009

“What motivates people to buy art?”

I am totally politically incorrect and prone to sharing my opinions with any and all - and I thoroughly enjoy a lively conversation with many. I am interested talking about the current economy’s effect on art sales. I believe there are very few people who buy art based on quality, rather than whether the piece depicts their favorite subject matter.

If you have ever attended a local or national art, arts/craft show or on-line; you will know what I mean. Personally I have exhibited at more shows than I can count. I have to say I have honestly been blessed with success over the past several years. But…I am always amazed at the things people purchase. So I am posing this question to you “What motivates people to buy art?” Have you every stopped a customer and asked? I have, I’m curious, and it does wonders for the ego.

Going with the Field of Dreams theme, “If you build it, they will come”, and in the arts & crafts world we joke that “If you put it on a stick, people will buy it!” Seriously, I’ve seen it happen. It has fondly been referred to SOS. SH- - on a stick. And I am not ashamed to admit that I have fallen to the wayside and produced more than my share of SOS. An artist has to bills to pay, right?

No comments: