Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Interview with WHOHUB....

What is your specialty?

I have been a successful craft designer for over 25 years specializing in whimsical Holiday gift ware. I encompass several forms of media in my work from sculpted to painting. About 5 years ago I dabbled in gourd art and that is where I have found creative freedom. Since I have been producing massive amounts of gourd specialities for local and national shows.

Where can we view your portfolio online?

I have a web blog where I post my work on a regular basis and I am also on Facebook, Halloweenartists.com and Gourdenthusiastist.com. I also use this to allow my clients to view upcoming designs and place custom orders if they are interested. since most of my designs are one-of-a-kind they cycle through pretty fast.


What made you interested in design?

I have always been artist. From an early age, I was introduced to art and design through my parents and grandparents. Creativity flows throw my genes. I have been blessed with a unique perspective of the world I live in and am glad to share that with everyone.

What has been your professional career path?

Upon graduation from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, I began my career in the fashion industry as a fashion illustrator. When things began to go bust in the 80's, I was fortunate to land a position as an art director for a small printing and advertising firm. From there things have evolved in the printing sector, however, I continued to design and paint for my own personal enjoyment.

Have you received any awards for your work in the field of design?

I have received newspaper design awards for the creation of newsletters and tabloids. In addition to taking 2nd place honors at the Ohio State Fair.

What is your motivation? What makes you get up in the mornings?

Life in general. After loosing a parent and friends at an early age, it makes one appreciate every day we spend together.

How would you define your design style?

My design style is folksy, whimsical. My paintings had been compared to Grandma Moses and of late to her grandson, Will Moses which is quite the compliment. Often too patrons have said I have a Tim Burton style to my Halloween creations. I think it is all the twisting gourd vines I incorporate in my pieces.

How do you promote and move your work?

I currently participate in local art shows, my blog, e-bay, the Internet artist circles and in galleries.

In which new areas would you like to experiment?

I LOVE all forms of art. I am often questioned about the many techniques and products I offer. I would love to learn glass blowing, and more on art dolls. But I currently have more than enough on my plate along with a full time job.

Shapes, color, concept: where do you usually begin when conceiving a design?

My favorite designing is for Halloween. I do a lot with gourds and the gourd determines the design. Several factors come into play, I usually don't have a preset idea when I sit down at my drawing table. On occasion I will sketch ideas that pop into my head. I never quite sure where they come from other than childhood memories and everyday inspirations.

What are your sources for documentation and to generate ideas?

Nature, the Internet, vintage postcards and mainly life experiences.

Which festivals or awards in your field do you find most interesting?

Festivals. Art and Craft festival lending more towards the arts. I love the interaction with people who admire my work. I have developed quite a following in the few shows that I do attend.

What is your favorite type of customer?

Animated. I love meeting new people and hearing their take on some of my designs. they usually don;t hold back and tell me, "hey, have you ever tried ..." If I find their suggestion interesting enough, I will do the research and you most likely will see something similar the next season.

To a certain point, is copying justifiable?

Copying, no. Taking inspiration from an others artwork, yes. There are a lot of talented people in our world and there is entire set of folks who will pay for a pattern to reproduce your designs. Then copying is ok, but I'd rather see original artwork. I hate to attend shows to see the same products at half a dozen different booths.

List some things you dislike seeing in design.

Poorly produced and lack of professionalism. I never did understand paint thrown at a canvas and declared artwork. If ones has to explain it, to me it is not worth it.
Do you believe the newer generations are better at designing?

No. With the use of computers and new technology, many are simply regurgitating up old ideas - true talent seems to be missing. Like everything else, designs run in trends, and trends will repeat themselves. True talent takes more than operating a computer or digital camera. Creativity is part of your inner core, a sixth sense and an eye for composition.
With which type of client would you decline in working for?

Have you ever fallen into the trap of producing something based upon the subject matter to get a sale, when the subject matter trumps your values? I learned that lesson the hard way, and the project just never seemed quite right for me. It left me exhausted and disappointed regardless of the fact that the client loved it. I find myself being stifled when I have to create something to exact specifications. I need that creative licence to make something truly exordinary and be happy with it. Which is exactly how I view my Halloween art. Let me create and then you can purchase. Instead of cookie cutter structurered design; be prepared to be treated, Halloween comes just  once a year!

How do you calculate budgets for a design project?

Budgets or the pricing of my work is simple. Materials x 4. It is usually based upon something I have already produced. Some of my designs take a lot longer than others. When I produce for a season I am producing multiples (usually 12 at a time) of one design. I could never recap the cost of time involved on some designs, therefore I charge a little more on some and a little less on others. It has worked out fine for me in the past.  If I really like the way it turns out, I may add up to 10% more because I know it will be a valued item. My enjoyment out of creating to me is priceless.

Which professionals in your field -contemporary or past- do you most admire?

There are several that I admire. Flora Thompson from Bone Head Studios, Scott Smith from Rucus Studios, Bethany Lowe, Johanna Parker to name a few.

Which software applications do you most utilize in your work?

Don't laugh...Word. I can do some amazing things with this software...and photoshop elements.

Up to what point do your designs reflect your personality?

I'd like to think that each of my designs reflect my personality. Lots of fun, love and laughter, and little bit kookier. I give them all names and they evolve into that character. It is like having a baby and watching it grow as it takes shape.

How do you distinguish passing fads from mainstays in new trends?

I'm not big on passing fads, I go with the color pallets, but other than that I am my own style. Whimsical-Vintage

If you weren't a designer, what would you be doing?

Definitely an art teacher. I love kids and art. It is a perfect combination.

At this moment, what would be your dream job or project?

Dream Job. Where I can design, produce and sell my work to those who truly understand and appreciate that when I produce something I am giving away part of myself. To be able to leave behind my 9 to 5 office job and trade it in for bibs, t-shirts and flip-flops. And naturally to make lots of money to support this addiction!

Can you see yourself in this field twenty years from now?

Until I die!

Which design resources online do you frequently visit?

Not many. I like to cruise through artist links and check out their websites or blogs.

No comments: